With the adoption of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS) has been recognised as the "the official source of cross-nationally comparable data on education", as confirmed in the Education 2030 Framework for Action. The UIS has been given the mandate to "work with partners to develop new indicators, statistical approaches and monitoring tools to better assess progress across the targets related to UNESCO's mandate, working in coordination with the Education 2030 Steering Committee."
This website, dedicated to Education Management Information Systems (EMIS), aims to facilitate strategic decision-making, policy formulation and budgeting, and, if possible and relevant, routine management at district level, in helping schools and ministry of education in better managing education.
We also seek to address the needs expressed by representatives of national EMIS units, Members States, partners and key stakeholders. The site groups together guidelines for the implementation and operationalization of EMIS, makes tools, UIS surveys and reports available to all, and has a repository of national EMIS from around the world.
You will find the information to answer all these questions on the website:
- How to make decisions about improvements to their EMIS?
- What are the technical basis to negotiate with vendors or suppliers of EMIS?
- How to better discuss their requirements with development partners wishing to contribute to the development of their data for education, both lacking in comparative information about what a modern EMIS ought to be able to do?
- What are other countries implementing definitions? Can I see other EMIS forms?
- If I want to assess quality what are the existing tools?